Sunday, October 19, 2008

Old MacDonald had a farm and all his daughters were vegan.


I'm in the mood to talk about food.
With my recent change into Veganism, I thought it best to share one of the websites I have found that have made this transition relatively easy and painless.

This site is looks clumsy at first glance but when one starts to navigate it you come to realize it is made for users by users.
Recipes are added daily, with a vegetarian/vegan option for pretty much anything you can think of. Mock Fried Chicken? No problem. A hearty chili for a cold winter's day? Type it into the search and you'll be serving up bowls in no time.  Chocolate loving vegans get their fix with many items on deck, such as the five Star Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie ( shown above).     
All of the recipes are rated by users and have comments by other vegetarians on additions or substitutions to the recipes. 
In addition, a forum is offered for those who need to know just where the heck to get nutritional yeast as well as many other helpful topics.

My standby recipe from that sight is one for Easy Pancakes submitted by user Sarah Hoff:


2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 1/2 cups of soy milk or water
(optional: dash of cinnamon)
               


My little addition that I like to add is when I am feeling like a dessert is to add some cocoa powder and about a 1/4 cup of sugar and and another 1/2 cup of water ( or to consistency). This makes a delicious chocolate pancake. I discovered it one a whim when I had to use up some old baking ingredients. I have been making them ever since.


So head on over and start cooking or baking or just browse. Be warned though: Once you start making these easy recipes it's hard to stop.

1 comment:

M. Keyes said...

Yum! Definitely going to give that a try :D